Places of interest
Our area of operation covers some of the most historic parts of Glasgow. We’re also lucky to have some great green spaces, landmark buildings and great shopping.
Here we bring you just a few of the local highlights.
The Forth and Clyde Canal
The Forth and Clyde Canal is a major landmark and runs through the centre of our area. Work began on the Canal in 1768 and wasn’t completed until 1790 when it was wide enough to accommodate sea-going vessels.
The canal was bought by Caledonian Railway in 1867 as a condition of buying the Port of Grangemouth and remained under railway management until 1948 when it was taken over by the British Transport Commission.
Rights of navigation were extinguished by Parliament in 1963, however, the canal was triumphantly reopened in 2001 as part of the £78m Millennium Link - the largest canal restoration ever in Britain.
Today it is popular with walkers, joggers and anglers as well as a range of birds such as swans and mallards.
For more information visit www.scottishcanals.co.uk
Maryhill Burgh Halls
Originally built as a seat of municipal government in 1878, Maryhill Burgh Halls was derelict by 2001.
After undergoing a £9.6 million restoration it opened again to the public in spring 2012 and now boasts meeting and office spaces, a recording studio, nursery and café.
As part of the restoration project, twenty stained glass windows were returned to the Burgh Hall after being kept by Glasgow Museums. www.maryhillburghhalls.org.uk
The Mackintosh Church
The Mackintosh Church, Queens Cross, was built in 1897 and is famous as a prime example of the architecture of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, designer of the Glasgow School of Art.
It is also the headquarters of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society, a non profit making charity set up to promote the designer’s work. Magnificent stained glass and relief carving on wood and stonework are highlights of the interior where light and space are used to dramatic effect.
St George’s Statue
The statue of St George and the Dragon is a well known local sight.
The statue was created by sculptor Charles Blenkarn Grassby in 1897 for monumental and architectural sculptors, J and G Mossman, and was originally sited at the St George’s Cross Co-operative society.
The statue was removed from there in 1985 when the premises were demolished.
In 1988 it was re-erected on a plinth in its current location at St George’s Cross and presented to the people of Glasgow by the Co-operative Society.
St George’s-in-the-Fields Parish Church
The original Church of St George’s-In-The-Fields opened in 1824. However early on the morning of Sunday 23rd November, 1884, it was destroyed by fire.
Work began on rebuilding the church in April 1885 and in May the same year the memorial stone of the building was laid. The new church was designed by architect brothers, Hugh and David Barclay, in the style of a Greek temple. The portico features a scene of ‘Christ Feeding the Multitude’, sculpted by William Birnie Rhind.
The new church was opened on Sunday 7th February 1886, entirely free of debt. The rebuild had been funded by church member donations and had taken only 10 months to complete.
In February 1936, a Grand Jubilee Concert was held within the church to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The last ever church service was held in 1979 by the Reverend John W. Barker who delivered the last sermon. The building remained unoccupied until 1988 when it was converted by the Association into sixteen apartments for residential use.
The church holds one final secret though – a time capsule located somewhere within the church, which contains artefacts and the balance of the donations gathered, but not required to complete the church.
For more information about the church and Glasgow’s history visit www.theglasgowstory.com
Partick Thistle Football Ground
Thistle, The Jags, The Maryhill Magyars, and the Harry Raggs! The Grounds in Firhill have been the home to Partick Thistle since 1909. On the playing front Thistle’s two greatest achievements have been winning the Scottish Cup in 1921 and the Scottish League Cup in 1971. In both cases against all the odds.
The Jags have dedicated supporters with home games attracting around 5,000 people.