Asbestos

What is it?

Asbestos is a natural mineral made up of small fibres which were added to building materials until it was banned in 1999. 

ACMs (asbestos containing materials) are not a significant health risk if they are in good condition and not disturbed. It is only when ACMs are disturbed causing fibres to be
released into the air that, if inhaled, can cause serious health problems.

Where would I find it?

Asbestos is most commonly found in textured coatings (artex or similar), but can also be commonly found in floor tiles, wall boards, plaster finishes, spray coating to pipework, lagging around pipework/cylinder, water tanks, backboards or boiler/distribution boards or bath panels.

What should I do?

Most homes built between the 1930s and 1980s have some form of asbestos. However asbestos can’t harm you unless you breathe in its fibres. This means it’s normally perfectly safe to live in a home with asbestos present as long as the asbestos remains undamaged. It can become dangerous if it’s disturbed through DIY, for example. So, before carrying out any DIY at home, or if you think you might have damaged or disturbed asbestos in your home, contact a member of our Technical Services team on 0808 143 2002.

What are we doing?

We have an Asbestos Management Plan in place, which outlines you how we manage asbestos to prevent exposure. We also have an asbestos register, pinpointing where asbestos containing materials exist in our neighbourhoods. If necessary, we carry out a survey to find out whether there are any materials with asbestos in your home and, if so, what condition they are in. 

If any are in a dangerous condition we arrange for them to be contained or removed as soon as possible. However, materials that are not in a dangerous condition will not always be removed. This is because it’s a very disruptive and there’s no risk.